Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cotton Clash

Cotton, why do you hate me so?  Just what did I ever do to you?

I've been knitting 12" square blocks in cotton and as of the last hour or so the cotton is winning. I've stopped to take a break and tape a thick (sport style?) adhesive bandage over my thumb. I'm hoping there's enough padding in the bandage that I can resume knitting and finish off this block. It kind of seems to me that knitting cotton bothered my right hand before. Not sure if that included just the kitchen cottons (Sugar 'n Cream, Peaches & Creme, Lion Cotton) or also Cotton-Ease and Knit Picks Shine and Comfy varieties as well.

It just seems surprising that using the same kind of needles one yarn would make my finger/thumb tips sore when other yarns don't.  It's not like I'm knitting with wire or stainless steel.  The yarn itself feels soft enough and even slightly squishy.  I just can't imagine why or how cotton stitches resting on the needle are hurting me.

ETA:  Great news for me!!  The bandage seems enough of a cushion that I can keep knitting on.

ETA: as of Nov 17, I've continued to work with worsted cottons and not had any trouble with them for quite some time.  I guess that's something I have to get used to again each time.  But I really don't understand why.  I'm certainly thankful that with continued use it stops hurting me fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment